The Upside of Not Adopting E-Portfolios (Pilot Program/Emerging Technology)
Cornell's e-portfolio pilot took place over several semesters with many technologies, and successfully resulted in a recommendation not to adopt a single e-portfolio solution. This session describes the design of the pilot and ongoing impact on teaching, learning and assessment, as well as faculty and student support. The pilot raised questions about learning outcomes and assessment across courses, programs and departments; revealed differing faculty and student perceptions about the value and purpose of portfolios; and created a significant distinction between portfolio practices and available technologies. Participants will have access to data and an opportunity to test their assumptions about e-portfolios.
* Understand how to develop a pilot and project design plan.
* Create an assessment strategy to inform technology and implementation decisions incorporating both quantitative and qualitative measures.
* Develop technology assessment criteria tied to project assumptions and strategies.
* Learn how to implement qualitative user experience evaluation methods.
* Describe a range of strategies for how to communicate a recommendation NOT to adopt a piloted technology.