The Learning Lab experience is supported by both asynchronous and synchronous components. Each Learning Lab sequence includes a set of resources, an asynchronous discussion, and an interactive live session, all of which culminate in the development of a project or application to apply learning to local and specific contexts in support of the learning objectives.
Learning Lab Launch: Leading XR Initiatives in Higher Education
October 5, 2021, 1:00–2:00 p.m. ET
- This is a live session to learn the details of the Learning Lab, Canvas site, and expectations for the microcredential. There will also be time to get to know your fellow lab partners and facilitators.
- Participants will introduce themselves and share their motivation and desired outcomes from the lab. We will discuss the XR instructional scenarios they are seeing at their respective institutions.
- Facilitators will introduce themselves and their work in the context of XR
- Participants will form project teams to work on analyzing a specific XR instructional scenario for security, privacy, and safety challenges.
- Teams will be asked to post their topic and a set of questions they hope to explore on the Canvas discussion board. Teams will be asked to comment on at least two other teams’ topics.
Learning Sequence 1: Introduction to Compliance, Regulatory, and Privacy Considerations in Higher Education
October 7, 2021, 1:00–2:15 p.m. ET
- Institutions of higher education are subject to a complex regulatory environment. While immersive, 3D learning environments create new and exciting opportunities for engagement, the use of XR technologies and experiences can also raise numerous regulatory concerns (e.g., privacy, accessibility, and federal student aid eligibility requirements).
- In addition to providing an overview of these compliance considerations, the facilitators will lead group discussions regarding how to approach risk mitigation at participants’ institutions as part of implementation plans.
- Using the information discussed in the session, each project team will propose and discuss risk mitigation strategies tied to their scenarios using the Canvas discussion board asynchronously.
Learning Sequence 2: Ethics and Safety, Implementation Considerations, and Advocacy
October 14, 2021, 1:00–2:15 p.m. ET
- In addition to compliance and risk mitigation strategies, we will introduce ethics and safety challenges that institutions should consider.
- The facilitators will lead group discussions focused on safety and implementation considerations and challenges unique to participants’ institutions.
- Using the information discussed in the session, each project team will continue analyzing and discussing the ethics, safety, and implementation challenges tied to their scenarios using the Canvas discussion board asynchronously.
- This learning sequence will conclude with an introduction to current advocacy groups, initiatives working on XR security, privacy, and safety (e.g., XRSI, IEEE XR ethics projects, and ITIF).
Application and Closure: Learning Lab Application Project
October 21, 2021, 1:00–2:15 p.m. ET
- Teams will present an analysis of their XR instructional scenario's security, privacy, and safety challenges.
- Team presentation will be followed by a discussion and questions from the larger group.
- Participants will post or link their final project for all to review on the Canvas discussion board.
- This introduction will be followed by a group discussion on:
- Lessons learned from the learning lab
- How participants plan to approach XR security, privacy, and safety challenges at their respective institutions
- How the higher education community should contribute to the larger discussion, what initiatives should be considered, and which EDUCAUSE community groups should play an active role
Lab Application Project
- Work in teams to analyze which regulatory frameworks impact XR learning experiences, with an emphasis on data privacy and security requirements
- Evaluate emerging XR instructional scenarios; their respective security, privacy, safety, and ethics challenges; and potential mitigation strategies
- Address key safety, security, and privacy risk areas critical to the implementation of a successful institutional XR strategic plan