EDUCAUSE New Managers Institute for Cybersecurity Professionals
August 30–October 22, 2021
The EDUCAUSE New Managers Institute for cybersecurity professionals provides first-time and aspiring managers in cybersecurity and privacy roles with the foundational skills critical for managing and supervising information security projects, units, and people. The institute provides a comprehensive view of the role of manager as well as specific skills development in key management areas, including interpersonal communication, project management, cost management, performance management, and leadership.
August 30–October 22, 2021
8-10 hours per week
Who Should Attend?
Higher education cybersecurity and privacy professionals new to management or leading teams.
(Synchronous and Asynchronous)
Successful completers receive the New Managers Institute for Cybersecurity Professionals digital microcredential.
About Attending This Institute
All EDUCAUSE Institutes are built around the following core themes, which you’ll learn more about in the program: diversity, equity, and inclusion, student success, and digital transformation. We believe in a humanized, learner-centered approach that supports communities of learning and networking.
This intensive, eight-week institute engages participants in interactive live sessions, offers small applied team projects designed to support networking and learning, and provides coaching with the faculty. We ask that participants actively plan the time they will spend on the institute each week, even on a daily basis. Each competency below is delivered with diverse learning materials, resources, activities, and capstone projects in support of in-depth learning, immediate application, and networking.
- Interpersonal Communication: Communicate professionally and successfully with all levels of the organization.
- Includes support for adaptive communication, active listening, presentation skills, difficult conversations, and conflict management.
- Project Methods, Best Practices, and Stakeholders: Demonstrate effective oversight of information security projects and people.
- Includes support for project basics, project methodologies, project stakeholders and teams, best practices for project success, team dynamics, and time management.
- Cost Management: Manage departmental costs to achieve organizational goals.
- Includes support for budget basics, estimating, funding sources, budget management, and awareness of data.
- HR Performance and Motivation: Manage personnel to meet departmental performance goals and objectives.
- Includes support for talent acquisition, motivating people, performance goals, performance management, and employee retention.
- Leadership Practices for New Managers
- Includes support for leadership characteristics and traits, leadership principles, personal leadership styles, ethics in leadership, and support for leading change.
Once a week, we will hold a live, synchronous online meeting to discuss resources, activities, and projects. These meetings will be a combination of short talks, discussion, and opportunities for questions. See full meeting schedule in the Agenda page.
Learners are expected to dedicate approximately 8-10 hours per week (synchronous and asynchronous) to have an engaged and successful learning experience.
Coaching and Mentoring Opportunities
As part of your enrollment in this institute, you have the opportunity to receive coaching and mentoring from one of the program's faculty or an experienced leader from the higher education cybersecurity and privacy community. The post-program mentoring opportunity lasts for three months, and enables a one-on-one connection for the duration of that time.
Join the Conversation
Interact with your peers and share your excitement for #EDUCAUSEInstitute on Twitter.
A professional development program for every step of your career.
EDUCAUSE Events Finder
Keep growing with upcoming EDUCAUSE events.
Registration will open in April.
The New Managers Institute for Cybersecurity Professionals begins on August 30, 2021.
The New Managers Institute for Cybersecurity Professionals concludes on October 22, 2021.