EDUCAUSE New Managers Institute
June 19–August 11, 2023
The EDUCAUSE New Managers Institute provides first-time managers and those who aspire to management roles with the foundational skills critical for managing and supervising projects, units, and people. The institute provides a comprehensive view of the role of manager as well as specific skills development in key management areas, including interpersonal communication, project management, cost management, performance management, and leadership.Register Now
June 19–August 11, 2023
5-10 hours per week
Who Should Attend?
Higher education professionals new to management or leading teams.
(Synchronous and Asynchronous)
Successful completers receive the New Managers Institute digital microcredential.
About Attending This Program
All EDUCAUSE Institutes are built around the following core themes, which you'll learn more about in the program: diversity, equity, and inclusion, student success, and digital transformation. We believe in a humanized, learner-centered approach that supports communities of learning and networking.
This intensive, eight-week institute engages participants in interactive live sessions, offers small applied team projects designed to support networking and learning, and provides coaching with the faculty. We ask that participants actively plan the time they will spend on the institute each week, even on a daily basis. Each competency below is delivered with diverse learning materials, resources, activities, and capstone projects in support of in-depth learning, immediate application, and networking.
- Interpersonal Communication: Communicate professionally and successfully with all levels of the organization.
- Includes support for adaptive communication, active listening, presentation skills, difficult conversations, and conflict management.
- Projects: Methods, Best Practices, and Stakeholders: Demonstrate effective oversight of projects and people.
- Includes support for project basics, project methodologies, project stakeholders and teams, best practices for project success, team dynamics, and time management.
- Cost Management: Manage departmental costs to achieve organizational goals.
- Includes support for budget basics, estimating, funding sources, budget management, and awareness of data.
- HR Performance and Motivation: Manage personnel to meet departmental performance goals and objectives.
- Includes support for talent acquisition, motivating people, performance goals, performance management, and employee retention.
Once a week, we will hold a live, synchronous online meeting to discuss resources, activities, and projects. These meetings will be a combination of short talks, discussion, and opportunities for questions. See the full meeting schedule in the Agenda page.
Learners are expected to dedicate approximately 5-10 hours per week (synchronous and asynchronous) to have an engaged and successful learning experience.
Coaching and Mentoring Opportunities
As part of your enrollment in this institute, you have the opportunity to receive coaching and mentoring from one of the program's faculty or an experienced leader from the higher-ed IT community. The post program mentoring opportunity lasts for three months, and enables a one-on-one connection for the duration of this time.
Join the Conversation
Interact with your peers and share your excitement for #EDUCAUSEInstitute on Twitter.
Professional development for every step of your career.
EDUCAUSE Events Finder
Keep growing with upcoming EDUCAUSE events.
Registration will open in June.
The New Managers Institute begins on June 19, 2023.
The New Managers Institute concludes on August 11, 2023.