EDUCAUSE Senior Directors Institute
August 30–November 12, 2021
The EDUCAUSE Senior Directors Institute is a professional development program for senior leaders in higher education, such as deans, directors, and program chairs. The program is designed to address high-level campus-wide and leadership issues, while focusing on developing skills to effectively communicate, motivate and engage employees, spearhead strategies for institutional change, exercise strategic decision making, and lead the way in overcoming enterprise-level challenges.
August 30–November 12, 2021
5-10 hours per week
Who Should Attend?
Higher education professionals with 5-7 years of experience seeking or in senior director roles.
(Synchronous and Asynchronous)
Successful completers receive the Senior Directors Institute digital microcredential.
About Attending This Institute
All EDUCAUSE Institutes are designed around the following core themes, which you’ll learn more about in the institute: diversity, equity, and inclusion, student success, and digital transformation. We believe in a humanized, learner-centered approach that supports communities of learning and networking.
This intensive, 11-week institute engages participants in interactive live sessions, offers small applied team projects designed to support networking and learning, and provides coaching with the faculty. Each competency below is delivered with diverse learning materials, resources, activities, and capstone projects in support of in-depth learning, immediate application, and networking.
- Leadership Journey: Assess the leadership qualities contributing to your personal brand and professional aspirations.
- Includes support for personal vision and guiding principles development; managing up, down, and across; personal and professional development; leading from the head and the heart; and developing your personal brand.
- Leadership Communication: UEmploy effective communication strategies to build workplace relationships.
- Includes support for communicating to your audience, building relationships and networking, emotional intelligence, persuasive communication, active listening, and crisis communication.
- Motivation and Engagement: Support organizational performance by maximizing employee motivation and engagement.
- Includes support for employee motivation and engagement, effective organizations, retaining and recruiting talent, and using an inclusive approach.
- Institutional Change: Implement proactive strategies to advocate for organizational changes and innovation.
- Includes support for developing qualities of effective change managers, understanding barriers to change management, employing strategies for change management, articulating a clear vision, creating a culture of innovation, and understanding the importance of culture and climate.
- Strategic Leadership Decisions: Use sound decision-making that aligns with the mission and vision of the organization.
- Includes support for identifying uses of tactical and strategic thinking, incorporating a systems approach, making high-quality decisions, monitoring the portfolio, decision alignment and governance, and pursuing equity, diversity, & inclusion.
- Enterprise Leadership: Implement strategies for overcoming enterprise-level challenges.
- Includes support for understanding modern day issues and challenges, engaging campus leaders, identifying enterprise-level opportunities, leveraging information tools and resources, doing more with less, and effectively positioning your organization.
Once a week, we will hold a live, synchronous online meeting to discuss resources, activities, and assessments. These meetings will combine lecture, discussion, and opportunities for questions. See full meeting schedule in the agenda page.
Learners are expected to dedicate approximately 5-10 hours per week (synchronous and asynchronous) to have an engaged and successful learning experience.
Coaching and Mentoring Opportunities
As part of your enrollment in this institute, you have the opportunity to receive coaching and mentoring from one of the institute’s faculty or an experienced leader from the higher-ed community. The post institute mentoring opportunity lasts for three months, and enables a one-on-one connection for the duration of this time.
Join the Conversation
Interact with your peers and share your excitement for #EDUInstitute on Twitter.
A professional development program for every step of your career.
EDUCAUSE Events Finder
Keep growing with upcoming EDUCAUSE events.
Registration will open in April.
The Institute begins on August 30, 2021.
The Institute concludes on November 12, 2021.