Designing and Delivering a Quality MOOC
The impact of massively open online courses (MOOCs) on higher education is the subject of much debate. In this short course, we review and apply strategies to build a quality design and learning framework; review choices and decision-making processes necessary for MOOCs; and outline specific technologies to support MOOC delivery. Throughout the course, participants will consider their own challenges and opportunities to advance their ideas and goals for learning in a massively open way. The course concludes with issues that require common understanding and information sharing in order to gauge improvement and learning outcomes around the MOOC.
NOTE: Participants will be asked to complete assignments in between the course segments that support the learning objectives stated below and will receive feedback and constructive critique from course facilitators on how to improve and shape their work.
During this ELI Short Course, participants will:
- Understand how to conceptualize and structure a plan to develop and deliver a MOOC at their institution.
- Understand how to design, develop, and deliver a MOOC.
- Review tools and technologies to use in the management of the course delivery, interactions and assessments.
- Understand issues and considerations around developing content, learning activities, and assessments for a MOOC.
- Consider what can be transferred from what we know of the online learning environment to the MOOC learning model.
Short Course Facilitators
Karen currently serves as Associate Provost, the Center for Innovation in Learning at University of Maryland University College (UMUC) leading the search and evaluation for next generation learning models. Karen is responsible for implementing collaborative innovations which may include prior learning, course design, analytics, adaptive learning, e-resources, open educational resources, instructional design changes and competency based models. She was previous a Director at MSUglobal at Michigan State University. MSUglobal is responsible for helping departments at MSU integrate emerging technologies. She publishes regularly on various topics in online learning. She has a Ph.D. from Nova Southeastern University and a M.B.A from the University of Rochester’s William Simon School of Business.
- EDUCAUSE MOOC Resources
- The Language of MOOCs by Audrey Watters
- Making Sense of MOOCs: Musing in a Maze of Myth, Paradox, and Possibility by Sir John Daniel