Course Activity and Digital Badge
Each registered participant will develop one activity that employs various concepts and strategies introduced in the course. Participants will be asked to complete assignments between the course segments that support the learning objectives and will receive feedback and constructive critique from the facilitators on how to improve and shape their work. Participants who successfully complete the entire activity will receive an EDUCAUSE digital badge recognizing their accomplishment.
Schedule and Activities
Session 1: "Come on Down!" | Why You Should Become a CDS Participant
Lead Presenter: Mark McCormack
October 3, 2018, 1:00–2:30 p.m. ET
This workshop will focus on existing CDS data use cases and why over 750 institutions participate in CDS annually.
- Understand the value of using data for decision-making
- Identify common use cases for participating in CDS
- Learn how to address pitfalls with using data
- Identify elements of a good data story
- Group discussion: Your institutional context and what you'd like to know
- Individual: Develop your data use case
- Individual: Review the CDS 2017 and CDS 2018 surveys
Session 2: "I'll Take Educational Technology for $1,000, Alex" | How to Complete the CDS Survey
Lead Presenter: Leslie Pearlman
October 10, 2018, 1:00–2:30 p.m. ET
This workshop will focus on planning for and providing quality responses to the CDS survey.
- Identify individual reasons for participating in CDS
- Develop a survey response plan
- Identify elements of CDS to use for a data story
- Group discussion: Sharing existing survey completion strategies
- Individual: Develop a survey response project plan for your institution
- Individual: Identify questions to investigate for your data use case
Session 3: "Survey Says…!"| How to Get the Most Out of Your CDS Data
Lead Presenter: Leah Lang
October 17, 2018, 1:00–2:30 p.m. ET
This workshop will focus on using CDS data to support your data use case.
- Select and create an appropriate peer group
- Learn how to create a report using CDS data
- Complete a data story using CDS data
- Group discussion: Who is your audience and how do you communicate with them?
- Individual: Navigate data reporting in the CDS Portal
- Individual: Create and save reports in the CDS Portal that support your data use case