EDUCAUSE New Managers Institute
The EDUCAUSE New Managers Institute focuses on providing first-time managers or those aspiring to management roles with skills in several key management areas including interpersonal communication, effective oversight of projects and people, cost management, HR performance and motivation, and applying leadership practices. All sessions have been carefully designed for those just beginning to manage in a professional setting and are facilitated by a faculty of experienced higher education IT leaders.
Communicate professionally and successfully with all levels of the organization.
- Analyze different communication styles
- Use active listening to communicate effectively with others
- Prepare for a presentation using industry best practices
- Practice communicating in difficult workplace situations
- Use techniques to manage workplace conflict
Demonstrate effective oversight of projects and people.
- Discuss the common elements of projects
- Analyze the benefits of different project management approaches
- Identify key stakeholders for projects in higher education
- Analyze best practices for ensuring the success of projects
- Assess the importance of team dynamics on project success
- Discuss strategies for maximizing productivity and efficiency
Manage departmental costs to achieve organizational goals.
- Examine planning approaches to budgeting
- Discuss key components of cost estimating
- Identify common sources of funding in higher education
- Use budget management techniques to justify changes to funding levels
- Identify critical sources of data related to institutional budget management
Manage personnel to meet departmental performance goals and objective.
- Assess hiring and recruitment practices to maximize a talented and diverse workforce
- Identify strategies to maximize workplace motivation and engagement
- Create effective performance goals
- Use continuous feedback and coaching to conduct performance evaluations
- Discuss the importance of employee retention at higher learning institutions
Apply leadership practices that utilize personal leadership traits and abilities.
- Identify characteristics and traits of effective leaders
- Discuss essential leadership principles for aspiring leaders
- Analyze different leadership styles to promote a growth mindset
- Assess ethical frameworks for making managerial decisions
- Use leadership skills to successfully navigate organizational change
Interested in becoming a faculty member for an EDUCAUSE Institute? Learn more about the process here.
EDUCAUSE Professional Pathways
The EDUCAUSE Professional Pathways are designed to help you determine where you are in your career today and create a plan to move toward tomorrow.
Upcoming EDUCAUSE New Managers Institutes
- Search by keyword